1/1/09

Gratitude

Yesterday (31 Dec) we had planned to be on the road by noon. I realized early in the day that it wasn't going to happen. First of all, Mike and I were fighting a hacking cough and that alone was pretty exhausting. But the main reason for the delay is trying to consolidate our stuff into a car load. I tried to narrow it down to what I thought I would absolutely need but it turned out to be much harder than I thought. So, after some serious pondering I realized...oh my gosh, how did the pioneers do it? And they could only take seventeen pounds! It then became a challenge to take only necessary items. Left behind items included the griddle, my juicer, ALL of my pictures, Brita water container, laundry soaps, towels, alot of clothes, MY ELECTRIC BLANKET, and other things too numerous to mention. In the end I didn't relent on taking my breadmaker or Cutco knives. I also took my mesh bread baking pan. I figured even in the hotel, I can still make bread! Oh yeah, I also couldn't leave my blender. There is so much you can cook when you have a blender!
We finally got on the road around 2:30pm and got to Denver just before the new year. Not a bad drive actually; no snow just windy. We watched the "ball" fall at midnight and then went to bed. Our next goal was to reach Oklahoma City so we'd only have to travel four hours the last day. We stopped in Blackwell just short of OC. Tomorrow, Grand Prairie, Texas.
I'm grateful to live in a time when going from one place to another is a breeze. I grateful that even if I forgot something critical I can either buy it or have it sent. I'm especially grateful that I can be in contact with my family at the touch of a button; I don't have to wait months for a letter. What a great time to be alive! More later...

1 comment:

holly b said...

I would be a wreck trying to eliminate that many items. I'm always taking too many "what if" items even for short weekends away at my parents house!