7/30/09

The Hole in My Heart

Yesterday (29 July) at 7:13pm the last of our visitors left on a plane for home. At 7:14p I was left with a great big hole in my heart.
Starting way back at Easter, Sara and Matt brought the family and spent almost a week with us. We had a great time going to a baseball game, eating at Pappadeaux's, going miniature golfing and playing Wii. Last month on the 26th of June we began hosting two groups of grandsons. Alex Zollinger, Andrew Mortensen and Luke Moroz were the first group to come to Texas. We had a great time swimming, going to a baseball game, going to a movie, playing Legos, playing Wii, eating at Pappadeaux's (seafood), eating at Cousin's BBQ, eating at Nina's (mexican), eating at Appleby's, eating at Trail Dust (steak) and hanging out with Grandpa Mike at the Army. What made it so exciting for them is getting to fly by themselves to get here.
After a two week visit, the boys and I flew back to SLC and I spent a week there with the family. Well, actually, I stayed part of that time in a hotel which the grandkids love because they can go swimming. We also had a two hour family reunion at Famous Dave's BBQ. We were only missing Michael with Taylor, Jamie and Matt (who had to be at a school conference). It was lots of fun and more importantly it was easy! I just ordered six of those garbage can lids filled with different kinds of bbq, beans and coleslaw. Grandma "Hair" (Zollinger) joined us and we had a great time basking in the noise of the grandkids/great-grandkids.
On the 15th of July I came back to Texas joined by Trevor and Kyle Zollinger. They had a great time playing Wii and Legos. We ate at Pappadeux's, Nina's, Johnny Carino's, Cousin's, Cheddar's (bbq) and IHOP's. We went to a baseball game, an aquarium and played miniature golf. Do you see the pattern of entertainment? Eat and play, play and eat, then eat and play some more!
It's been a really great summer. Now, I realize that it's been five weeks since Mike and I were on our own...and we're really BORING!
Thank you to the parents who were willing to part with their children and entrusting them to us. Thanks to the boys who kept us on our toes and helped us have a really great summer. We miss the noise and look forward to being home with all of you. Actually that may be sooner than we thought...but that's another story. We will enjoy the time we have left here in Texas. After that, onward to a mission!
Much love,
Miss Vicki (the name comes from my good friend SSG Joe Stephens who hails from the great state of Arkansas)

3 comments:

sjnagel said...

I'd like to hear more about the, coming home sooner than expected, part.

MTN said...

We had so much fun. I wonder if we'll make a return trip at some point. I hope so.

vszmom said...

The Army is still working on new orders but it may be too late. Either way, I'm ok with whatever happens. I went to the Temple yesterday and pretty much left with the attitude that whatever happens is what we need to happen. Will our room be ready by the first week in October? My only regret is that the whole family couldn't come to visit while we lived here. Glad you guys made time to see the place.