7/11/09

Construction Traffic

I'm visiting home (SLC) and when I'm here I stay at the Baymont Hotel over by the E-Center in WVC. It seems that everytime I'm here, the city is doing major road work. Usually I bypass the traffic by driving around the construction mess. Yesterday I made the mistake of driving through it!
I didn't really stress over three lanes of traffic merging into one. I had nothing but time so I just went with the flow, the very slow flow. But an interesting thought popped into my head and here's what I found myself thinking. There was a gospel principle at work in this construction zone and I wanted to figure out what it was...and I did!
There are basically two types of drivers in this situation; those who are extremely territorial about their place in line and those who are gracious. The first group is pretty focused on getting where they want to go and they do this by subtley ignoring (and sometimes not so subtley)those who want to get into the line and quickly close any gap between their car and the car in front. The second group (sometimes to the chagrin of the car behind) will let a car after car come into the line. Where is the gospel principle? Well here it is.
Our life as a Latter Day Saint is kind of like the road in construction. It's the road that will get us where we want to go. It's the "forever family" road and we get so focused on the journey that sometimes in our rush (gotta get to ?, gotta go to ? you fill in the blanks) we ignor, subtley and sometimes not so subtley, those who are looking to get on the road with us. For example; how many times do we turn our head to avoid making eye contact with someone of different status (you know what I'm talking about; beggars, tattooed/pierced wonders, those who "just don't look the type") essentially closing the gap between the cars, so to speak, so they can't get on the road. While there are those who would stop to give a coat to a homeless man and say, "Here, get in front of me, I'll let you in".
Yesterday, I let as many cars as I could get on the road. Tomorrow, I will pay more attention to others who want to travel the same direction as me.
It was just a thought while driving...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Look at me! I finally found your blog AND I'm leaving a comment. I love the parallel you discovered in the traffic. I think I needed that, so thanks!