9/29/08

Trip to Canada


I still haven't written about my trip to Canada. There is so much to catch up on but briefly; Rachel, Luke, Emily and I made a trip to Windsor, Ontario, Canada in July. The trip took several weeks and we passed several time zones but the most critical was the ET which as most mothers would know is Emily's Tired (and we have to stop NOW). We only traveled what the two kids could tolerate and usually that was six hours or so. We had a fantastic time and saw more on that trip than most people get to see in a lifetime. We made use of KOA's (Kampgrounds of America) most of the time and they were quite the set up. The kids slept well in the cabins (actually, I couldn't tell you if they slept well or not, I was asleep!) In the morning we had warm showers before heading out for the days (daze) drive. Rachel kept asking me if I would like her to drive but I don't have stupid written on my forehead and said I was fine. Near the end of the trip she was BEGGING to drive.
We stopped at Cabela's in Nebraska, we saw the LDS Winter Quarters Temple in Omaha. We saw my good friend Cathrin in St Joseph, Missouri, toured Nauvoo City and Carthage Jail. Luke and I had a blast in Nauvoo and saw a dress rehersal of the famous "Nauvoo Pageant" which focuses on Joseph Smith and life for the Saints in Nauvoo. Words cannot express the emotions we felt as we watched the production.
On the 11th we picked Jamie up at the Chicago airport and made it to Windsor the following day.
This was the first time I'd ever met Jamie's family and they were really great. A few days later, Rachel, Luke and I headed to Palmyra, NY to watch the "Hill Cumorah Pageant". Again, words fail to describe what we felt there, the site where Joseph Smith met the Angel Moroni to aquire the Gold Plates (Book of Mormon). Nearby is the Sacred Grove where Joseph asked the most simple question, "Which church is true"? This ground, so hallowed, is where he received his answer in the presence of God, the Father and His Son Jesus Christ, "None of them"! The rest is found in LDS history. I spent a lot of time watching Luke to see if he was aware of what he was doing and I had my answer shortly thereafter when he asked, "Grandma, can I say a prayer"? When asked what he wanted to know he said, most sweetly, "I want to know if Joseph really saw God and Jesus". After a brief pause he added, "Then I want to know why Santa didn't bring me the things at the top of my list"! Baby steps...
We rounded out the trip with a stop at Mt Rushmore. On the way home from there we made a wrong turn and took a different way. It was meant to be for on the way home we passed by Martin's Cove where the Saints with their meager belongings sought shelter from the bitter winter cold.
I can't tell it all in one sitting but will try a little here and a little there.
That was in July and I haven't been home since but for a very few days.
It's been an awesome summer and continues still!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Ummm...I think you forgot to mention all the head slaps and sighs of frustration.