9/17/08

Mobile Living

Mike and I have been talking for awhile about ridding ourselves of all our earthly possessions and living in a trailer. Now, before you conjour up thoughts of a "shack type" existence let me say that trailer living is hugely improved!
"The Worlds Largest RV Show" was in Hershey, PA last week-end (9/12-14) and I took the opportunity to do some trailer research before I went with Mike later that evening. I hooked up with the representative from Fleetwood and he was most helpful in answering all of the questions I could come up with and some I hadn't thought of. Originally I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and looked at about a half dozen units to see if what I wanted was what was being built. I narrowed it down to two I really liked that I felt I could live in for the remainder of my days. Later, when I went back with Mike I showed him the two I had picked out and he agreed that they would fit the bill. However, we decided to check out the 5th wheel models (the trailer is mounted to the inside of the truck bed) just to see what they offered that the conventional trailer did not. WOW! I was totally blown away by the differences. What it boiled down to was this. Trailers are great for traveling and making vacation trips BUT a 5th wheel is like having an apartment on wheels; dining sets instead of cafe booths, countertop islands instead of a small counter next to the sink, "upstairs bedrooms" and space for a small washer/dryer, etc. Truly, these things are made to live in "happily ever after"!
It makes it so much easier to make the life changing event exciting. Did I mention that Mike will have to get that new truck he's been wanting to pull our new home?

5 comments:

sjnagel said...

Um... how are you going to host Thanksgiving dinner in that thing? Wait. Don't tell me. That's the point, right? Well, it makes dusting a lot easier. Does it have a washer and dryer?

vszmom said...

Thanksgiving can still be at the house, I just don't have to be the one who cleans :)
Yes, we can have a w/d if we choose to. The hook-ups are there. The one we really like has floor plan that feels like home. The trailer has a typical booth set up for eating. The 5th wheel has a dining table for 4 w/free standing chairs. It also has a great livingroom area with two leather recliners and a loveseat size sofa. What I really like is the size of the bathroom and the kitchen with tons of storage and counter top (corian). All things come with a pricetag. If we get all the things just as we want them we will pay about 50K. That in itself isn't bad if we are living in it. But...we would also need a truck to pull it! All told we would to spend around 70K. Again, not bad if it's our living quarters.

Rachel said...

Ummm...wait, did you say Thanksgiving can still be at the house? I'm sure what you meant to write is, 'Thanksgiving' will still be celebrated every year, but NOT at the house. Yeah, that's what you meant to write. I'm sure of it.

vszmom said...

No...I think what I wrote is accurate. We always meet at the biggest house, right? At least that's what everyone always said.
Welcome to home ownership, eh!

Rachel said...

Hmmm...maybe we can look at downsizing?