9/15/10

That Which Does Not Kill Us...





Makes us stronger!
I was going to try and journal our MTC experience everyday but the truth is by the time we got back to the room (usually right after dinner at 6:30pm) I studied for a bit and then went to bed by 8:00pm. Classes were vigorous and wonderful but the chairs were murder on the hip. I lived on pain pills but the walking to and from all of the study rooms and our room were just too much! I'm so disappointed that the painful injection I got the Thursday before had no effect at all and now I'm left wondering how I'll survive the rigors of a full time mission. I'm totally going to rely on the blessings I've received to be able to fulfill my desire to serve. I'll leave it at that and go forward in faith that I'll be able to make it!

I don't know where to continue with our MTC story. Our daily instructors, young returned missionaries, were so great. We had one of the biggest Senior groups (40 couples and 1 single sister) and they split us into about eight districts (5 couples per district). I would have never imagined the love that was shared in each district. We became family! These are people who we will think about for the rest of our lives as dear friends. I know now why young missionaries like to keep in touch with each other long after their service ends.

Anyway, we learned new methods of teaching and have come to understand the importance of the scriptures. Mike and I have very different teaching styles; he likes to prepare way in advance and I don't! I'm much better at the "feeling" style of teaching meaning, I like to prepare but am well aware that things can change midstream. We were taught "teach people, not lessons" and I feel that's where my strength lies. However, Mike and I can balance the two styles sucessfully, I think.

Food at the MTC is plentiful! And that's not a good thing. After receiving a "health" class on eating healthy and portion control, we found it really odd that the food at the cafeteria was heavy on carbs and portions were way too big. I think it was done to feed those young folks who weren't going to recognize much of what they were served once they hit the mission field OR the young men and women burned it off running to and fro. It seems that the only way to get from point A to B was to run! Oh to be young again and pain free!

It would be hard to describe all we learned and the feelings we had while in that sacred place. It seems as though Satan has no power on those hallowed grounds and the peace of the surroundings was humbling. I wish everyone could have that experience. Mostly I want to impress on my grandsons and maybe my granddaughters, the importance that the Gospel has played in our lives and why we would desire them all to work towards serving our Father in Heaven in this work.

As Mike and I continue on our journey in this endeavor we encourage each family member who is able to work to become missionaries. It is the most important thing we've ever done and we know our family will be blessed because of it.

No comments: