4/14/09

Swimming, Baseball and Boys

Sara and Matt have been with us since Friday, April 10th. The weather hasn't been as warm as it was the last two weeks but it hasn't dampened the boys spirits...or their desire to take advantage of the apartment pool. On Saturday they talked their dad into taking them swimming but mostly that just meant putting their behinds in the unheated kiddie pool and then warming up in the hot tub.
It reminded me of the time my dad took our family on a vacation to Yosemite. We stayed overnite at June Lake and it was so cold that my dad had to heat rocks in the campfire and then bury them in the dirt under the tent. The tent was toasty, we were toasty...until the next day when our dad took us swimming in the lake. It was freezing! We went in the water anyway because it was our vacation and that's what you do on vacation! The boys are on vacation. They don't care if they're freezing!
Last night for FHE we went to see the Texas Rangers play against the Baltimore Orioles. We've been looking at the stadium from the outside for four months and waiting for the time we could be inside that beautiful place. It seemed natural that our first time would be with some of our grandsons. We took the time to go online to find the best ticket deals and found one that seemed feasible; the "take an empty Dr Pepper can, get a ticket for half price" offer. So, before the game we bought Dr Pepper and took the cans with us. The only problem is...none of us drink Dr Pepper. It didn't matter, we left the full cans with the ticket agent and still saved over $100. It actually ended up sounding like an ad; $100 for tickets, $30 for the hot dog deal, $7 for cotton candy, $45 for three youth Ranger shirts...three little boys at a ballgame...PRICELESS! At the end of the night we had three happy little guys, one of which ended up on the big screen and in possession of a baseball from the field and four adults who only had to drive 20 minutes to get home. I love Texas!
Today is Tuesday and we're just relaxing. Mike has finished and mailed in our tax stuff and we actually get money back! I'm holding my breath 'cause as fast as they give it to us, one of the kids usually snatches it from our grasp. I need to spend it before that happens.
Sara and Matt are at the pool with the boys taking advantage of the warm day. It's actually warm enough to wear sunscreen so the boys are generously slathered. I'm glad that they're enjoying themselves. This place has been quiet for too long and although I love the time Mike and I have had to be on our own I do enjoy the company. The place has that "lived in" look. There'll be plenty of time next week when everyone is gone to restore things to order.
I'm looking forward the the next "wave"...until then I'll enjoy the "sands of time" with this one. Pictures to follow...
Much love, Vicki

2 comments:

D-Crew said...

Sorry, I blog hopped from Rachels! What a fabulous adventure you are having with Sara's family!! That is awesome!
I just had to say HI when I saw your name!! Love ya, Alison Hunt Dorenbosch

vszmom said...

Hey, Ali-sun-shine! Glad you stopped by. Feel free to drop in any ole time. Our next crew will fly in on the 24th of June; Luke, Andrew and Little Alex are making the trip all by themselves. I'm looking forward to it! How's the "hipster" doing? Miss you all. Much love, Vicki