3/24/11

Biggest Loser

OK, I admit it! I love the Biggest Loser. I love it because while motivating me to get off of my behind, it usually ends up being a study in the psychology of man. Here's the latest example of how we (parents) become enablers to our children. On the latest episode two people were going to be sent packing; one who fell below the red line (smallest percentage of weight lost) was going home, instantly. The other would be voted off.

Most of these couples are moms/daughters, fathers/sons, father/daughters; you get the picture. Anyway, two moms and one dad decided to throw themselves under the bus to save their kids. To do that they had to GAIN weight so their kids wouldn't fall below the red line. Now I want you too think about this on a broader scope.

As parents we often throw ourselves under the bus for our kids. We stay up all night to help with a project that's due the next day, that they could have done earlier. We run things to school because they forgot them. We run a day and night taxi. You know what I'm talking about...

So here's my point. What if life was about letting our kids fail once in awhile to learn from their mistakes? What if the parents on this show let the kids take the responsibility for losing their own weight? Why didn't the parents begin to see themselves important enough to do for themselves.

In the end it doesn't matter how much you think you need to sacrifice for our kids. At some point they need to take control of their own destiny.

This was just a thought...

1 comment:

Lesly said...

I like what Moses did. Instead of throwing himself under, he worked harder along side his daughter so that he was sure he did all he could do to help his daughter, Kaylee.